Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Jenna Taino Saga Continues

About two years ago, I was wandering California, hoping that I would magically know which direction I should steer my life. Empire State of Mind would play on the radio, and I'd take it as a sign, but then that dumb (but catchy) Miley Cyrus song would play immediately after and I'd be right where I started. (I can only blame myself for looking to Top 40 stations for signs.)

Did you know that right after I got my acceptance letter to Parsons, I checked my ufl webmail account, and there were two open positions to teach English in Spain? (If you didn't know, for a while, Spain had been my post-grad Plan A, but things changed, and decided to let them.) As much as I like to think that things happen for a reason, can you imagine how confused I was after I saw that? Really, what did that mean? Was I meant not check my e-mail, or was Spain really supposed to happen, but I missed that opportunity out of neglect? Because if I'd seen that before I got my acceptance letter, oh how things would be different.

Coulda shoula woulda. But since I arrived in NY, not once have I doubted that I made the right decision.

And as similar feelings of anxiety and doubt and uncertainly rise to the surface once again, I know that NY has been good to me, that I've gotten a lot out of this experience, and I've met some amazing people along the way. It's okay to be afraid, because all that means is that you have something to lose.

As I pack up my room, I'm reminded of a quote I found in a book at my favorite secondhand bookstore days before 2010 hit, "Trust eliminates fear."

No comments:

Post a Comment