Monday, October 31, 2011

Haystacks

Haystacks, Claude Monet

These last two weeks have been hectic. Actually, these last two months have been hectic, locking myself in my basement to sew a mini collection for a show, then being cancelled on (it's ok, it happens); to guests almost every weekend since I've gotten back in September; working on checking things off of my NY To-Do List; packing, searching for someone to sublease; and MOST importantly, trying to see everyone before I leave.

I went on one last run in CP, and decided to take the short route. As much as I don't like running, I've grown fond of my little runs, because there's always something fun going on. Central Park has become a haven for me, of sorts, because I think to live in NY and keep your sanity, you have to find the places and those things that make you forget that you're in the city.

As I was saying, I did my short run. I got to Bathesda Fountain, and despite the havoc I've wreaked on my body these past two weeks eating all the foods that are bad for you and NOT working out, I still kept a good pace and wasn't dying by the time I reached that point (especially surprising because it was a little chilly today). I decided to stop anyways. I wanted to make sure to take a moment and look around. Central Park. It's like what you see in movies.

I walked a little further, because I've been really sentimental these days. I was in NY last fall, but I still managed to miss it with school which eliminated any chance of having a real life. Today, the leaves were changing, and with the Nor'easter, there was still a bit of snow left over from that bizarre snowfall. It's like NY knew I was leaving, and wanted to make sure I didn't miss either fall or winter.

I took an art history class in undergrad, and it was one of my favorite classes. I especially enjoy Monet and his light studies. In one series, he painted haystacks and observed how they changed according to the time of day. It made me really think about how I experience things. The only way you can truly experience a city is if you look at it the way he looked at those haystacks.

Check.

No comments:

Post a Comment