Monday, January 25, 2010

And so it begins..


I didn't sleep very well last night. Surprise, surprise. I don't know if it was me being anxious, nervous, excited, or all of the aforementioned. And to be quite honest, my circadian rhythm has been pretty off since before graduation, so that didn't help matters either.

I get ready and step outside and a huge gust of wind about knocks me over and I think to myself, "Great. I'm glad I took the time to do my hair today." I dodge a recycling bin and trash can that Mother Nature hurls towards me, get to Journal Square, and I'm on my merry way.

I'm sitting there, waiting for my stop, and I decide that I am probably the only person on this train listening to Lady Antebellum right now.

I get to my classroom and no one's there. It's only 8:40. Maybe it's still early? Maybe? The other rooms begin to fill up and I begin to get a little worried. Seriously? After all of the sticky notes and the writing out my schedule, and double and triple checking to make sure I have everything just right, did I really get my room number wrong, and am I really gonna miss my first class? Well, the good news is, it's the right room. The bad news is that only three people were registered for that class. Count 'em. THREE! As in, 1-2-3. I knew these classes are supposed to be small, but come on. ANNND the other two don't show up! So it's just me and the professor. Just hangin out. We have a lovely conversation. She goes over the syllabus, then decides it was pointless to go on because either (A) she would have to re-do the lesson when there are more students, or (B) they would cancel that section (which would be just terrible!) and she lets me out early,

So I have a lot of time to kill before my next class. I re-vamp my schedule in one of the computer labs (classes Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays btw. Holla!) then I go down stairs, have one of my yummy snacks and catch up with a couple of friends while I wait. It's finally time to head upstairs, and since classes were switching, the elevators are packed. SO, thinking that I was still in shape or something, I decide that I want to climb up those 11 flights. It didn't matter that I haven't had a real work out in a couple of weeks, or that I haven't done any hardcore cardio in a minute. It's just 11 flights, right? Not ten Gator Mountains. HA! Who am I kidding?! I think it's around the 8th floor that I give up. I didn't wanna get to class seeming like a just ran a marathon! Major reality check!

Second class of the day (sort of), and it's Fashion Drawing. This professor is absolutely delightful. A little scatter-brained. Talks to herself quite a bit. But her accent keeps me entertained, and she loves what she's doing. She is all about making sure we stay inspired. And the other students are freakin' awesome. Especially being in the program I'm in, everyone comes from such unique backgrounds, with crazy histories of their own. It's humbling being around so many people with such different life experiences. More than half of the school is made up of international students. How rad, right?

Third and last class of the day. This one is small. Goodbye auditorium classes! Only seven of us. Fashion Industry: Marketing. This is probably going to be my least favorite since it's not a studio class, and one of the tougher ones because of the professor's expectations. But she is all about us owning who we are and making sure we learn how to market ourselves, and I can't wait to learn about everything she has to share with us.

Okay. I need to run or something. Because in case you didn't infer from a couple of paragraphs prior, I'm adding something to my list of things to conquer: Those eleven flights of stairs!

No comments:

Post a Comment