Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Run, Forrest

I have never liked running with my iPod.

The headphones bother me. And I hate knowing how long I've been running, while I run. Every time the song changes, knowing that each is around 3-4 minutes, I think "Crap. This is only third song. I've only been running 6 minutes!?!" It totally messes me up mentally, man. It's the same reason why I cover the time and distance on a treadmill; and why I prefer running in circles rather that seeing the end straight ahead.

So while it's partly a mental game, it's also my zen. I've never been very good at meditating, the way people do to "clear their mind". I can never seem to think of nothing. I only think more.

It's probably the cheerleader in me (okay, it's definitely the cheerleader in me) but all I do is think, "breathe in: 1-2-3-4; out 5-6-7-8". I get to think about my breathing, and that's it. And it's enough to distract me from all of my other thoughts.

I let my stride and my breathing find its harmony. I let my internal metronome run (no pun intended). And when I listen to my body and allow it to find it's own rhythm.. Well, it's just a wonderful feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment