Saturday, February 6, 2010

Jenna and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."
— Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day


Some days just start off not so good and when that happens, sometimes you ought to just go back to bed and wait for the next day to arrive.

Be advised, this blog is going to include a lot of complaining and whining. Bitch session 100%. So I apologize in advance. But ya can't say that I didn't warn you.

First, let me make a list of grievances that slightly annoy me on a day to day basis. But I grit my teeth, breathe, and think "big picture", because things could always be worse. And at the end of the day I am, of course, just grateful to be here. And this has nothing to do with the family I am staying with. They are lovely. But this is not what I signed up for.
- The lock is perpetually jammed. It literally takes me 5-10 minutes to unlock it. Not exaggerating. The other night, the neighbor was on his terrace, and I had been there so long that he offered to help. He couldn't unlock it. But his huge friend luckily pulled up in his car soon enough and was able to get it unlocked.
- The fridge is broken. Still.
- I have no shelves to put all of my supplies-- books, notebooks, paint, 49302 types of paper, sewing materials. It is truly testing my organizational skills.
- I have no desk or place to work. I can't work at the dining table. Sometimes their friends/family stay over. And my cousin-ish in law on my dad's side still sort of lives here. Point is, there is always someone sleeping in the living room. And I end up working on the floor, which can't be good for my back. Or I do my hw in bed, which isn't good psychologically. The bed is made for sleeping.
- Since he still sort of lives here, his things are still in the room I'm sleeping in. Which is another reason why my things are all over the place and don't have a home of their own.
- TFC is always on.
- Finding a way to church is always a task. I don't have my car. And I'm in Jersey. That's a problem. And I feel like a nuisance.
- The commute isn't bad. And neither is the walk. But when it's late and the shortest distance from the station to the house includes an alley, I'm going to opt for a cab. So I made a rule for myself, that I wouldn't walk through that alley after 9ish, 9:30. For safety's sake. Good rule. Except that I get home that late from school, or this, that, and the other thing virtually everyday. It adds up. I'm not made out of money.

So there's that. And here is an abbreviated version of this terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day:
- Dad called and we argued about my living situation. The night prior I listed the grievances for my mother.
- Went to pick up a package from the post office hoping it'd make me feel better. (It was from Lex and Cass!) BUT they wouldn't let me have it because I didn't have anything with the new address on it. Problem: I'm not going to. So they said they'd deliver it, but there's not going to be a day anytime soon that I'll be home to sign for it. So what the hell am I supposed to do?! AND I'm supposed to be getting some books in the mail as well.
- I was about to leave to go fabric swatching, and wanted to warm up some food before I left. There was food in the microwave, and a vat of fish and its contents spilled all over my jacket and pants. One, it looked like I threw up all over myself. Two, the smell was rancid.
- I had to buy a SmartCard, which you use to take the train, and the machine stole $5. So I had to give it $5 more.
- Mood was f'n closed.

Get. Outta. Here.

So what did I do? Shop, of course. Retail therapy at its best. Besides, I need more black clothes if I'm gonna be working Fashion Week ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment