Thursday, February 25, 2016

Advantages: Home and Away

Philippines. It started out as just a blip on our radar. Did it sound awesome? YES! Feasible? Eh... So we set our sights on more practical wedding locations.

When JP proposed in August, we were looking to get married in late summer, Labor Day Weekend, specifically, and we felt like we were racing, no, sprinting against time. Time was of the essence. We were up against a whole stampede of bride-and-grooms-to-be who also wanted our venue, on our date, because summer in Seattle is perfect.

We looked at venues for weeks and found the perfect venue and the most perfect, sweetest chapel, available on our perfect date. What wasn't perfect was the price. Not wanting to settle for a place we (mostly I) liked, not loved, we forfeited the summer wedding race to re-work our game plan.

Seattle was out. Different city, different season, but a new set of couples to combat. Because what's just as perfect as Seattle in the summer? Florida in the fall. New perfect venue, the chapel I grew up in, and a new perfect date (the Gator's bye weekend, obviously). The price improved, kind of. When you go to the hometown, you got the hometown crowd. You do the math.

What do we do, WHAT DO WE DO?! Panic mode: ON! Ononononononononon, so ON! I found the budgeting and the guest list so stressful we considered our immediate family in Hawaii. I have the spreadsheets to prove it. But my friends are everything to me. They are my family too.

JP and I debated on and on for weeks on end, considering all options.

We were back to the Philippines. Everyone knows how much I love it, but it's what JP said about it that got me. It was something along the lines of, "I want to show everyone how special this place is the way you showed me." I was sold. We know it'll be tough to get our family and friends to travel halfway around the world to a place that isn't any where near the top of their travel list, but we also know there are a few that will try their damnedest to get there anyway. Those few are enough. And we hope to make this trip meaningful and memorable for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment