Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Parachutes

Whenever we are developing a new standard color, we send out a yard of nine different types of fabric to a dyer: cotton, chiffon, charmeuse, cdc, georgette, sweater, knit, velveteen, and cord.

I was cutting the corduroy first. It was folded up, but like the way you'd fold a paper fan. It was quite the cumbersome task. It was on the floor, and the measuring tape was taped to a shelf which was about two feet off the ground, and that lug of fabric is not easy to maneuver. And you also have to remember that my arm span is just under 5". (I know that because remember that trick as a kid, when you found out that your height is your arm span?)

Anyways, I was just finishing up the cord and about to put it away. As I was trying to fold it back up to put back into the box, the entire roll just starts unraveling. It felt like it was in slow motion. I was trying to salvage the bulk of fabric, but it was no use. It was dunzo. It was like sitting under a parachute the way we did when were in elementary school Fabric all around; over my head; just completely surrounded.

Trying to find a starting point, all I could do was hope that no one passed by and see me engulfed in that sea of corduroy.

No comments:

Post a Comment